Monday, January 30, 2012

Abstinence

Oh, man.  I can't believe I am going to do this.  I don't know if I can.  I don't think I've ever done it before.  I'm starting to panic a little.  Okay, a lot.

I am NOT going to read a book in the month of February.

I know!  It's crazy.  I'm the person who ALWAYS has a book in her hand.  A Nook in the crook (of my arm).  I read one, two or three books a week, maybe more.  How will I ever make it through a whole month without reading?  Other than working during the day and my family, I don't have another hobby like so many other folks do.  I don't watch TV or knit or....anything.  I read.  Everything.

Why take this vow of reading abstinence? 

I need to see if reducing my reading is going to help me focus on writing and being more creative.  I know I need to get better at it and you only get better by writing every day.

You see, it's easy to read, but it's hard to write.  I love both, but I lack confidence in my writing skill.  So, I usually take the easy way out and choose to be entertained, educated, and enthralled by other people's works rather than spend the effort to get better at my work.  And yet I want my work to be brilliant.  This is the part where you tell me that's the definition of insanity!

So, it's time to close the escape hatch, lock myself in, and see what I can really do.  I need to give myself time to think, dream, create, and write. 

*freaking out*  *hyperventilating*

Wish me luck. 

2 comments:

Mary Frame said...

Oh man, good luck! I didn't read *very much* during NaNo (only one book...maybe two) and I thought that was hellish!

I don't know if I could go a whole month without reading. I almost posted that I would take the challenge with you, and then I chickened out.

Sorry! ;)

Let us know how it goes :D

KellieM said...

I am already dying just by knowing I'm not going to read. Withdrawals are beginning and I can tell it's going to be hard.

Thanks for considering the challenge but I wouldn't wish it on anyone! I just hope it delivers the expected results!